Based on feedback and questions from attendees for previous Open Studio Tours, we have put together a list of questions and answers below. If you have a question, please check out the list below. If you don’t see an answer here, contact us. We may add it to the list below!
Artists with a studio within a 3½ mile radius of the Yellow Springs Station. Click here to check radius.
All displayed work must be original in design and produced by the artist applying.
No dealers or agents.
Group studios may apply. Each artist needs to apply individually.
Guest artists must also send in an application (see question below – Can I have guest artists?)
All exhibitors must be YSAC members as of event date.
Yes. The group studio must be within the 3½ mile radius.
Each artist in the group needs to apply individually, pay for the listing fee and be a member of Arts Council.
There is a $50.00 fee and you must be a current member of the Yellow Springs Arts Council (YSAC).
Individual annual membership in YSAC is $30.00.
The fee covers:
- Listing on the map
- Online presence all year long on the Event Web Site
- Individual web page
- Archived show data base for repeat customer usage
- Listing in the printed brochure
- Benefits of extensive Open Studios advertising
Benefits of becoming a YSAC member:
- Opportunities for shows at our two galleries
- Email blasts with art events and art opportunities
- Advertise your own art events on the YSAC email blasts
- Members Show in February
- YS Open Studios
- Link to your web site
- Listing in the The Artists Directory
- Rental discounts on YSAC Multi Purpose Space
PayPal or credit or debit card online at https://ysopenstudios.ysartscouncil.org/2017-apply/
Check made out to YSAC and mailed to the following address with your application:
Yellow Springs Arts Council
P.O. Box 459
Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
Or dropped off with your application to YSAC Gallery during Open Gallery hours.
111 Corry St. open Wednesday-Sunday 1-4 p.m. (except during the week before the 3rd Friday).
No. In addition your work does not have to be for sale. It’s your choice. If you sell art work you are responsible for your own sales.
Sorry no they aren’t. The guide listing fee goes towards advertising Open Studios and supporting Arts Council events.
You will have the benefits of being an Arts Council member for a year.
One of three ways:
- Online at https://ysopenstudios.ysartscouncil.org/2017-apply/
- By snail mail to:
- YS Open Studios c/o Yellow Springs Arts Council
- P.O. Box 459
- Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
- Dropped off to YSAC Gallery during Open Gallery hours. 111 Corry St. open Wednesday-Sunday 1-4 p.m. (except during the week before the 3rd Friday).
YS Chamber of Commerce, YSAC Community Gallery, or online at: https://ysopenstudios.ysartscouncil.org/2017-apply/
Applications must be received by August 1, 2017.
Yes, send to:
YS Open Studios c/o Yellow Springs Arts Council
P.O. Box 459
Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
This is a two-day event: Saturday October 21st and Sunday October 22nd, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Rain or shine.
The event will still be held. There is no rain date.
Yes. The guest artists must fill out a separate application stating that they are a guest artist at your studio.
They must pay the fee and also become a YSAC member if they are not a member as of event date.
You can show a variety at your studio, but must pick your main medium for all advertising, listings and print.
In the description of your work, which is taken from your application and used on your Open Studio web page, you can list all media.
Expect your notification within a week or two after the deadline of August 1, 2017.
The success of your Open Studio comes from the advertising we provide and from you reaching out to your friends, family and customers.
- After your acceptance and receipt of the Welcome Letter, send three images of your chosen medium.
- Images must be in JPEG format and fall within the ranges of 200-300 dpi; 500kb-1.5 MB file size; or 1500 x 1500-2500 x 2500 pixel dimensions.
- Each image must be identified with artist’s surname and by number i.e. , smith1.jpg or smith-1.jpg
- Email your photos to: email@example.com
- Images must be emailed by August 1, 2017 or you will not be in the show.
- A return email will be sent acknowledging receipt.
- You must pick up a sign designating your studio as being on the tour from the YS Chamber of Commerce at Yellow Springs Station. Call to schedule a time for pickup; 937-767-2686.
- We will pick it up from you after the event. Please leave it up in front of your house
- There is no fee for the sign.
- Also pick up from the Chamber 10-15 printed brochures to have on hand on the days of the event.
- Group studios or studios with guest artists, please have only one artist pick up 20 brochures for the studio. Post one map in your studio.
- Buy yellow balloons and have them filled the day before the event
- You are responsible for placing yellow balloons outside your studio on Saturday and Sunday of the event.
- Mylar tends to stay up longer and withstand more weather conditions.
- We suggest you update your own personal/business websites, blogs, and social media accounts.
- Price your work, if you are going to sell your work.
- Remember to collect sales tax 6.75 % for Greene County.
- Let your neighbors know what’s happening and invite them over.
We suggest you have business cards, a receipt book – with at least two carbons, one for your records, one for your customers, a cash box and change.
Consider accepting checks and credit cards.
A helping hand from a friend or family to ring up sales while you talk with visitors is very helpful.
You are responsible for placing yellow balloons outside your studio on Saturday and Sunday and the YS Open Studios sign that you will have picked up from the Yellow Springs Station.
Consider providing finger food and something small to drink. Food and drink can relax visitors and make them feel welcomed and appreciated.
Consider doing a demo during the event or showing works in progress. Showcase some of your important tools. Allow visitors to see what actually goes into making your beautiful work.